Tuesday 24 November 2015

Tongariro Northern Circuit

The Tongariro Northern Circuit was the first Great Walk I did on the North Island and my first glimpse into what the nature on the North Island is like.
After spending a couple days in Akaroa I flew to Wellington and then took a bus up to the start of the Northern Circuit. This was my fifth Great Walk (other walks I've done are The Routeburn, Able Tasman and Heaphy, Kepler) and the only one I did by myself.

It took me three days to hike the 50 kms (31 miles). The weather was great the first day. The first day was most diverse in terms of scenery. I traveled through forests to waterfalls then through open red tussock fields with amazing views of Mt. Ngauruhoe (which is the Mt. Doom in Lord of the Rings) and Mt. Ruaphehu (a ski field). Both are active volcanoes. The last part of the day was spent climbing over the remnants of old lava flows to the Oturere Hut where I spent the first night.
Taranaki Falls
Mt. Ngaurahoe
The second day I got up early to see the sunrise and try to beat of the hikers doing the Tongariro Alpine Crossing which is the most popular day hike in New Zealand. The day before was a popular day to do the crossing because it was nice weather. I talked to some people at the hut and the recommended getting on the trail early as to avoid some of the hikers. The ranger said 2,000 people did the trail the day before. Other hikers said it was a constant flow of people that never stopped. For the first hour or two I climbed over volcanic rocks and out of the Oturere Valley to reach the Emerald Lakes. I did a short 30 minute side hike to see the Blue Lake. From the Emerald Lakes I hiked up a steep ridge that over looked over the Red Crater. From there I made my way down the Devils Staircase (I did the hike in the opposite direction than most people so I climbed down the Devils Staircase instead of up). Here is where I started to cross paths with some of the day hikers from the crossing and the weather started to fog over.
Oturere Valley
Emerald Lakes
Emerald Lakes
Blue Lake
The Red Crater
Emerald Lakes
Emerald Lakes
Red Crater
Video from The TOP

Looking back at the Devils Staircase(is getting cloudy up there)

Soda Springs

Since I got up so early on the second day I got to the the hut before noon even though I took my time. There is not much to do at the hut but I was able to fill the rest of my day with napping, eating and reading which was quite nice.

Unfortunately I didn't really take any pictures on the last day because it rained the whole night before and the trail was very wet and muddy. It was an interesting morning of trying not to slip and fall on the washed out track. For the record I only fell three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment